Tuesday, March 9, 2010

What color to paint my kitchen cabinets?

Can someone tell me what color/brand i can use the matches the color of natural oak stained or maybe a little darker. I am terrible at picking colors. I am painting my kitchen cabinets(MDF doors) and want it to look like natural antique look. I thought of buying a brown and then puttting some sort of glaze on them to dress the doors. I don't want to take the time to use a wood graining tool either. Let me know.What color to paint my kitchen cabinets?
What I would do is take off your kitchen front door and take it into a home depot or a Lowe's. They can help you match up a stain or help you pick out a stain. If you have a small kitchen, you might want to go with a light stain because the darker one will make your kitchen smaller.What color to paint my kitchen cabinets?
Without using a graining tool you're pretty much up a creek. Paint is paint %26amp; stain is stain %26amp; neither one will look like the other. Grab a few swatchs %26amp; compare them to either a cabinet close to the color you're looking for or a stain chart. I recommend either Zar or Bartley's gel stains. You could also look online for antiquing kits. Any major paint brand will work.


It's all in the prep.
I would recommend some kind of sikkins or cabot rub on stain. I would say coat it with some poly at the end because cabinets always get dirty and the poly makes it a bit easier to clean. I know this color might shouled weird but a good cream rub on would look line and make the wood really pop.





Good Luck
Here is a link to a step-by-step guide on how to do a faux finishing technique using paint to look like real wood. They even tell you exactly what types of paint %26amp; materials to use:


http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_faux_grainin鈥?/a>
May be you could use light tan. I think that will suit the oak color of your kitchen.
Hi!


I figured out a simple and inexpensive way to makeover on my old wood kitchen cabinets. I gave them an antique look without sanding, priming, or removing the doors or hinges.


You can see a photo of my cabinets and learn how I did it at http://www.kellyseverythingstore.info When you get to the site, scroll down and click on the photo of my kitchen cabinets.


My email address is on that web page, so if you have any questions, please feel free to email me.


Hope it will help ya!


Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment