Tuesday, March 9, 2010

What color to paint my kitchen?

My cabinets are maple painted an ivory color, and my floor is medium golden oak.


I have silver pulls/knobs on the cabinets and drawers. My countertop is also an ivory stone-looking laminate that includes very faint colors of gold and silver (which match the color of the floor and knobs). The room faces north. It adjoins my family room (which is painted an off white). THe room is 12 x 20 and does not have a lot of wall space. Any suggestions?What color to paint my kitchen?
I have two colors I have used in my home which I really like. One is called ';Newborn'; by Gidden. It's a yellowish-gold that I think would look great in your kitchen. Also, I love the illuminesent colors that Sherwin Williams puts out. They are very clean and crisp, not muddy. I used one called ';French Vanilla'; in my kitchen. My friend used ';Dollop of Cream'; from the same collection and it's gorgeous too. For an altogether different feel, you could go dark since there isn't a lot of wall space. Something like taupe or toffee or sage green. Good luck.What color to paint my kitchen?
It is important that the color in the different rooms around the house come together logically. Analyze each of the tones; determine which colors, and in what proportions, they complement each other to give the final result.





Here are ten household helpful hints for choosing room colors:





1 Brighten up the darker spaces by painting the walls in pale colors.





2 If you paint a high ceiling a dark color, will make it look lower.





3 A light blue or a gray make a small room seem wider.





4 Use the wall colors to mark off areas according to actives.





5 Red and reddish tones are bold, exciting colors which stimulate movement. They are especially suitable for work areas.





6 Yellows are warm, bright colors, ideal for dark spaces to make us feel cozy.





7 Green is essentially linked to life; it reminds us of nature and is perfect for interiors we want to connect with outside.





8 Blues are fresh, harmonious, and easy to combine. They remind us of vast extensions of sea and sky.





9 To make a room more radiant, you can paint the walls in light colors and introduce dashes of color through the furniture, complements, and ornaments.





10 Neutral colors like beiges and browns combine well with other tones and give the room a natural feel.


Color is clearly the most visible linking factor between separate rooms and is ideal for giving consistency to the decoration scheme of a whole house.
Stay away from red and yellow as they stimulate appetite. Did you think it was a coincidence that red and yellow are McDonald's theme colors?





Too bad your cabinets are painted - they would have looked nice matching the floor. You still could get panels to match the floor and stick them on the front. That way you could go with an ivory on the walls. Then I would paint the family room ivory too so there's flow.
Last year I painted my mom's kitchen bright red, and it looks great! So many people do yellow, I never understood that. I like dramatic color changes from room to room.
I just painted my kitchen a very soft ocean blue, with just a touch darker blue trim, and redid all my cabinets in a nice cappuccino color. I also have chrome hardware on my cabinets. My counter top is a beige and ivory swirled pattern. My furniture is white. Basically, I wanted it to look like a beach side cafe inside - and it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment